Monday, January 31, 2011

"I would have my secretary do it, but she's dead"*

recently attended a really fun estate sale at a office building downtown...it was built in 1964 & apparently never redecorated after that. the building is going to be demolished to make way for an expansion & renovation of a YMCA so everything down to the doorknobs was for sale:




this lamp was in the room that housed the bar, which I wish I had gotten a photo of:

the building had this really amazing design that included two atriums on either side - most offices except the receptionist & the bar included a view of them so there was wonderful natural light throughout even though looking at the virtually windowless building from the outside you would never have guess it. the bar however was strategically placed in the middle of the building with two doors {one to the main hallway & one to the conference room} so it was dark & hidden. if I wasn't a mad men watcher I probably would have been surprised there was a bar at all...





all the cool light fixtures were sold by the time I got there. the amazing room divider was still available but too pricey. I walked away with just some paint by numbers - on velvet no less...they seemed so out of place amongst all the office-type stuff, I found it hilarious & of course fate that I was meant to get them.

*don draper - mad men. {here's a short video or a longer video about the episode}

10 comments:

julie. said...

HOW TOTALLY AMAZING!!

mixette said...

Wowza! I would have killed for those 3 can lights! I searched for vintage fixtures for my fab 50's pink and black bath, but ended up getting these new reproductions http://bit.ly/gkElLH

Tasha said...

How awesome! And rather hilarious that there were paint by numbers there.... lunch hour projects during the workday, perhaps? ;)

Crystal said...

OMG. I'm dying, dying. I think i would have chained msyelf to the building so they couldn't tear it down.

giddy99 said...

Those gold sparkly tiles!!! OMG... I'd be thrilled with any of it, though...

giddy99 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
By the Bluegrass said...

Oooh, how cool is this? I would have loved to have gone. Sad that it's being torn down. I love the room divider!
xo,
Sena

julie (jane's apron) said...

I love a post that starts with a Mad Men quote. If you have a chance you have to see my sewing nook on flickr (I added a note for the hoop from your etsy shop!)

Alexa said...

WOW.

Just, wow.

Unknown said...

This is a great web site. Good sparkling user interface and very informative blogs. I will be coming back in a bit, thanks for the great article. I have found it enormously useful.
www.y8gold.com , https://sites.google.com , www.frivallgames.com