at the end of last summer I bought a kite on clearance at target for a couple bucks with the idea to use it as a template & skeleton for a patchwork kite...almost a year later I finally got around to doing it:
I used a damaged vintage quilt top I had thrifted & already cut into:
I just cut out the shape with a little extra to fold over, stitched that up then cut off the tabs from the original kite, attached them to the patchwork & reinserted the original plastic support rods:
for the tail I used some solder wire since it's so light but it was silver so I painted it white then tied on some little scrap bits for the bows:
to attach it to the kite I just shaped a little hook at the one end & slipped it into the tab at the bottom...so easy, I don't know why I put the whole project off for so long!