Monday, August 23, 2010

phil's accordion

the very first accordion I ever heard or saw was most likely my brother-in-law's. I remember he'd play it now & then when I was little...and that my sister taught me how to polka so we could dance along.

I had no memory of what the accordion looked like though so when I was home my sister got it out for me...it was all I could do not to steal her away, she's a beauty:






I wonder if early exposure to glitzy accordions makes girls prefer them later in life? just a thought. anyhow, it's no tico tico polka {my sister's favorite song he played} but here's the latest tune I learned:



{I'm laughing at the beginning because the cat was meowing again although I don't think you can hear her}

8 comments:

Mern said...

Love that riff at the end!!! Also, I just noticed the other day that the "Play An Accordion, Go To Prison" bumper sticker is on the back of the kitchen door.

Katie said...

Those glittery yellow keys! I'm drooling!

next door Laura said...

Beautiful! The Merry Widow eh?

When my kids were little Sharon, Lois and Bram sang to this tune -
Happy birthday,happy birthday.
I love you.
Happy birthday and may all your dreams come true.
When you blow out the candles one light stays aglow.
It's the love light in your eyes where 'ere you go.

It always made me teary. That's how I am.

Martha said...

Wow! This is my favorite song so far -- you are clearly getting better and better in each new video. I also love the little riff at the end. Oh, and Phil's accordion is gorgeous.

The Retired Mama said...

You don't know me from Adam but I read you site. I first found you because of the embroidery designs that you put up on Thursdays.

My mother, who died 2 years ago, played the accordion when she was a girl to accompany her mother who sang on Saturdays for a Chicago radio station. I never heard her play- the rigors of raising 4 children took all of her time. But I see you with your red lipstick playing with joy and it makes my heart sing.

Thank-you for all aspects of your site. Your beautiful photo's of signs, your awesome garage sale finds, your wonderful embroidery designs and your special special music.

Alyssa said...

I love accordians, too! Although I have never played one, my mom used to play Christmas songs on hers and we would all sing along. My grandpa just loved when she played every year. She was always embarrassed to do it front of everyone, but she did it for him. When she was a child she even won trophies for playing her accordian. I love it when she plays, so maybe I will make her play this year for me!

You play wonderfully! Keep it up!

Katy said...

Woahhhh so cool that you play the accordian! And if I do say so myself that gold accordian is BADASS ;) I love the slide you do at the end, so cute!

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

That video is awesome! You are super good. I'm quite impressed. Now I want to learn to play!