Friday, January 9, 2009

tree of life

for my sister cill:



I used cotton perle floss and the chain stitch to fill in the tree & leaves. then felt for the circles & letters. {actually, the letters are that really stiff felt they have at michaels - I don't think I could have cut those out of regular, floppy felt.} I did a little stitching around the edge of the circles to give them more substance and texture. the whole piece is stretched over a wood frame for easy hanging.

i'm so happy with the way all the gifts I made this year came out but this one I was especially satisfied with since it was something different for me style-wise & I tried some new techniques.

have a lovely weekend!

13 comments:

kristin said...

great piece!! your sister must be very happy.

Ashley said...

Wowza. This is gorgeous. Must have taken you forever!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I like that heavy chain stitch a lot -- and the colors are great -- nice work!

Patty said...

I just saw that stiff felt at Michael's and didn't think I would ever need it but great idea using it for letters. The tree looks great!

Treasuresofjoy said...

Beyond Beautiful!
How pretty and I Love the dots.

bettyninja said...

This looks great! WHat a creative idea

Barbara said...

Beautiful - that is really well-done chain-stitching!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love it!

AJ Bindel said...

Amazing!

s zuklich said...

beautiful!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

What a lovely present ! I especially like the colours you chose .

gina said...

thank you so much everyone!

Gumbo Lily said...

I really like this.
Lucky Cill.

Jody