Tuesday, January 22, 2008

tuesday = fabric

I really like this trend towards bringing the outside in – with all the natural forms, patterns & woodland animals in home decor. For example I like this “little birch jewelry stand”
It reminds me of walking in the woods, and playing in the creek when I was young. The promise of fairies and gnomes behind each leaf and tree. I think its true what they say, you can take the girl out of the country but you can’t take the country out of the girl…

I don’t wear necklaces very often but when I would go to get one they would be all tangled so I kept on the lookout for something to hang them from and I found this stand at a garage sale for $1 this summer.


It’s not quite as pretty as the tree but I like it and it makes me happy to see these hanging in the bathroom being useful as decoration if not adornment. I got the sweet little blue bird at an estate sale for $5 - one of those items that made my heart flutter when I saw it and I couldn't get to it fast enough.

Yesterday I got a lot of the things on my to do list done – including making a 128lb lasagna. Okay, I might be exaggerating slightly about the weight, but it was big…and heavy. But luckily, also pretty tasty. Which is slightly amazing since I’m not good with the whole cooking food thing. It was like a movie scene, with me in the kitchen surrounded by dirty pots and pans, sauce on the floor, ricotta cheese on the ceiling...

I also organized my office/studio, which included putting the large wobbly stack of fabric in the closet into plastic bins so I can actually open the door without an avalanche. I re-discovered many pretty patterns I had forgotten so I’m going to share some of them today.





I’ve posted more fabric swatches in the vintage fabric flickr pool if you're interested.

2 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

Lovely fabrics!

bettyninja said...

Great fabrics. I love the bringing nature inside. Martha Stewart has a really cool article in the february issue where she shows jewelry in little cases, and inside a few of these cases she has rings on little twigs. It is very cute. I can't wait till the snow melts so that i can find nice little braches to bring in.